Cars and consumer durable goods to be costlier in New Year as government pulls back gear on excise duty cuts

first_imgExcise duty on small cars, scooters, motorcycles and commercial vehicles was reduced to eight per cent from 12 per cent.Cars, sports utility vehicles (SUVs), two-wheelers and consumer durable goods like TVs and washing machines will turn costlier in the New Year with the excise duty concessions on these goods-provided as a stopgap arrangement to revive growth in February-set to end. The government will not extend the excise duty relief provided to auto and consumer durables sectors, a senior finance ministry official confirmed.The government, which is struggling to meet the fiscal deficit target of 4.1 per cent of GDP, expects to rake in another Rs 1,000 crore in the remaining three months of this fiscal with the withdrawal of the duty cut. Revenue collections in the slowing economy have fallen below the Budget estimates.The erstwhile United Progressive Alliance government had cut excise duty on cars, SUVs, two-wheelers and consumer durables in the interim Budget in February as the two sectors were battling a slowdown and sales were shrinking.Excise duty on small cars, scooters, motorcycles and commercial vehicles was reduced to eight per cent from 12 per cent. In the case of SUVs, it was cut to 24 per cent from 30 per cent while for midsized cars, the duty was scaled down to 20 per cent from 24 per cent. For big cars, the excise duty was brought down to 24 per cent from 27 per cent. In the consumer durables sector, the excise was reduced across-the-board to 10 per cent from 12 per cent. In June, the Narendra Modi government extended the excise duty concessions by six months to December 31.advertisementWhile companies are still awaiting a formal communication and working out on the subsequent details of price hike, Honda Cars India senior vice-president (marketing and sales) Jnaneswar Sen said, “Prices will go up as a result of this decision. The move will also impact demand in the short term.”Maruti Suzuki India chairman R.C. Bhargava said, “It is a government decision. We don’t have any option but to accept it. It will have an impact on sales. I believe sales will slow down in the short term due to this development.” Bhargava sees car prices going up by four per cent as the higher excise duty burden will have to be passed on to customers.After two successive years of sales slump, the auto industry had notched up double-digit growth of 10.01 per cent in April-November period this fiscal at 1.33 crore units, up from 1.21 crore units in the year-ago period.last_img read more

EngenderHealth’s Perspective on New UN Maternal Mortality Estimates

first_imgPosted on September 17, 2010June 20, 2017By: Pam Barnes, President, EngenderHealthClick to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)The MHTF is soliciting reactions from the maternal health community to the newly released UN MMR data. Our hope is that, together, these comments will serve as a springboard for discussion and provide momentum towards MDG5.Trends in Maternal Mortality, 1990 to 2008, just released by the World Health Organization, the United Nations Children’s Fund, UNFPA, and The World Bank, reports that the number of women dying globally due to complications during pregnancy and childbirth has decreased by 34%, from 546,000 in 1990 to 358,000 in 2008. This is one more piece of evidence that investments to improve maternal health are indeed paying off. It also corroborates research published in Lancet earlier this year that showed a similar, modest decline in the number of women dying from pregnancy complications.While we know that fewer women are dying, there is clearly much more work to be done. In this latest United Nations report, only 10 out of 87 countries with maternal mortality ratios equal to or over 100 in 1990 are on track to achieving Millennium Development Goal No. 5 (MDG 5) by 2015. Also, 30 countries made insufficient or no progress since 1990. (See the full report and press release for more information.)Furthermore, for every life lost due to pregnancy or childbirth complications, about 20 women suffer from maternal morbidity, including obstetric fistula. And if we are going to continue this positive downward trend, we must improve the health of mothers in places with high levels of HIV, specifically Sub-Saharan Africa, and refocus attention to address women’s holistic needs, providing high-quality family planning, obstetric, and HIV services under one roof.As we were reminded at the recent Global Maternal Health Conference 2010, which brought together nearly 700 maternal health experts, solutions exist, and we know what they are. To reduce maternal mortality and morbidity, women must have better access to:Family planning, with other related sexual and reproductive health servicesSkilled care during pregnancyEmergency obstetric careImmediate postpartum careNext week, the world’s leaders will descend on New York City for high-level events, including the UN Summit on the Millennium Development Goals and the Clinton Global Initiative Annual Meeting. The good news is momentum behind MDG 5 has never been higher. This is welcome news for all of us who care deeply about improving sexual and reproductive health in the world’s poorest communities. The key now is to harness this energy to ensure that our governments deliver on their commitments to ensure universal access to reproductive health and to reduce maternal mortality by 75%.Read EngenderHealth’s blog here to get the latest updates.Share this: ShareEmailPrint To learn more, read:last_img read more

4-Star WR Tarik Black Announces Loaded Top 10 On Twitter

first_imgTarik Black lists his top ten colleges on Twitter.tarik black top ten twitterFour-star wide receiver recruit Tarik Black, a 6-foot-3, 185-pound product of Chesire, Connecticut, has offers from dozens of college football programs ahead of the 2017 season. Sunday night, he narrowed his list down to 10. Black’s list includes one SEC school (Alabama), two Pac-12 schools (UCLA, Arizona State), three ACC schools (Duke, Miami, Virginia Tech) and four Big Ten schools (Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Rutgers).Thankful for every Opportunity #Top10 pic.twitter.com/K5UfbYt29X— TJ Black (@LetmeRockk_) December 7, 2015You can check out Black’s highlight reel here.last_img read more

GOT prequel adds five more series regulars

first_imgLos Angeles: The ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel pilot is beefing up its cast. Marquis Rodriquez, John Simm, Richard McCabe, John Heffernan, and Dixie Egerickx have all been cast in series regular roles, reports variety.com. As with all things ‘Game of Thrones,’ the exact nature of the characters each will be playing is being kept under tight wraps. Rodriguez will next be seen starring in the Netflix miniseries ‘When They See Us’ from director Ava DuVernay, which is based on the true story of the Central Park Five. He also had a role in the Marvel-Netflix shows ‘Luke Cage’ and ‘Iron Fist’. Also Read – I have personal ambitions now: PriyankaSimm’s previous television credits include ‘Collateral’, ‘Doctor Who’, ‘The Catch’, ‘Life on Mars’ and ‘The Canterbury Tales’. McCabe has appeared in shows such as ‘Philip K Dick’s Electric Dreams’, ‘Harlots’, ‘Collateral’, and ‘Peaky Blinders’. Heffernan’s TV credits include ‘Dracula,’ ‘Brexit,’ ‘Collateral,’ ‘The Crown,’ and ‘Luther’. Egerickx recently wrapped on ‘The Secret Garden’ and previously appeared in the films Summerland and The Little Stranger. Also Read – Salman Khan remembers actor Vinod KhannaThe five join previously announced cast members Naomi Watts, Josh Whitehouse, Naomi Ackie, Denise Gough, Jamie Campbell Bower, Sheila Atim, Ivanno Jeremiah, Georgie Henley, Alex Sharp, Toby Regbo and Miranda Richardson. Taking place thousands of years before the events of ‘Game of Thrones,’ the new show chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros’ history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend-it’s not the story we think we know. Jane Goldman co-created the project with George R R Martin, whose ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ novel series serves as the basis for ‘Game of Thrones’. The news comes as ‘Game of Thrones’ prepares to launch its final season.last_img read more

Speeding vehicle crushes 4yearold boy to death

first_imgNew Delhi: A 4-year-old boy was crushed to death by a speeding vehicle in South Delhi’s Men Sarai. The deceased has been identified as Ajam Ansari, a resident of Sangam Vihar. The offending vehicle has been seized and the driver of the car arrested.The incident was reported on March 29 at 3:07 pm from Neb Sarai police station. The caller told police regarding the accident and a boy seriously injured in front of Kausar Masjid, Sangam Vihar, Delhi. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderWhen the police team reached the spot one boy whose name and address was found to be Ajam Ansari (4), from Sangam Vihar, Delhi, was found lying on the road with severe head injury. He was shifted to AIIMS hospital where doctor declared the injured brought dead. The body has been preserved in AIIMS mortuary for postmortem. “The offending vehicle Maruti Ecco-White Colour has been seized and offending driver Sushant Kumar Majumdar, a resident of Sabda, Nangloi, Delhi has been arrested. Accordingly a case under sections 279/304A IPC has been registered and investigation of the case is in progress,” said a senior police officer.last_img read more

Amnesty International Accuses Algerian Authorities of Silencing Election Critics

first_imgRabat- Amnesty International issued a media briefing on Monday accusing the Algerian authorities of silencing critics and curbing freedom of expression as the country prepares for the presidential election. Two days ahead of the Algerian presidential election that will take place on April 17th, NGO Amnesty International called on Algeria to “stop avoiding scrutiny of their human rights record” in the run-up to its fourth presidential election.The 77-year-old President Abdelaziz Boutaflika, who has spent over 15 years in power, seems to be the front-runner, despite his health problems which prevented him from chairing his campaign and the opposing voices that took to the streets as he announced his bid for his 4th term in power. Algerian authorities “regularly ban and forcibly disperse peaceful protests and have imposed severe restrictions on the rights to freedom of expression, association and assembly,” said Amnesty.AI said that Algerian civil society groups, human rights activists and journalists critical of the government “continue to face threats and harassment from the authorities”.Highlighting the journalists who were subject to harassment by the authorities for opposing Bouteflika’s bid for the fourth term, Amnesty cited the case of Aziza Mahmoudi, the wife of a journalist who was covering the Barakat movement demonstration in Algiers, who was assaulted at her home on March 27th. “Three plain-clothed individuals, believed to be members of the security forces, threatened her at gunpoint and said her husband must stop criticizing the authorities on Facebook, before scalding her with hot water, causing second-degree burns,” declared Amnesty.Private TV stations which criticized the authorities in their reporting have also been harassed, such as Al-Atlas TV, which was raided by the authorities last month after it had extensively covered protests and featured critics of the government.Algerian legislation currently “only allows for state-controlled national television channels, with authorities tolerating private channels and granting them temporary licenses that can be revoked at any time, without legal guarantees,” said the Amnesty briefing.Edited by Jessica Rohan© Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributedlast_img read more

Blue Jackets to kick off next season overseas

When the Columbus Blue Jackets conclude the 2009-10 season, they’ll likely want to get as far away from the disappointing campaign as possible.The NHL made that task easier for the Jackets, who will kick off their 2010-11 season in Stockholm, Sweden, the team announced Tuesday in a press release.Columbus will play a pair of games against the San Jose Sharks on Oct. 8 and 9.San Jose (39-11-9), first in the Western Conference with 87 points, has knocked off the Jackets in the first two of the teams’ four meetings this season.Columbus, with 57 points, the second-lowest total in the conference, currently sits at the bottom of the Central Division. However, the team has won both of its games since firing coach Ken Hitchcock last Wednesday.The Jackets and Sharks square off again tonight at Nationwide Arena at 7. read more

Rakitic Barcelona were better than Valencia

first_imgBarcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic rued their inability to win after settling for a 1-1 draw at Valencia on Sunday eveningThe Croatia international played the full 90 minutes at the Mestalla, but was unable to help the Catalan giants prevent extending their winless run to four La Liga games.After Ezequiel Garay’s second-minute opener for Valencia, captain Lionel Messi rose to the occasion by netting an equaliser to salvage a 1-1 draw for Barcelona.“We were superior during the game, it’s a pity not having achieved the three points,” Rakitic told the club website.“It’s a pity that with all the effort we made, they hurt us with so little, I think we can take advantage of the break to regain some strength”David Villa, SpainQuiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.Barcelona have now surrounded their hold of top spot in La Liga to Rakitic’s former club Sevilla.Sergio Busquets added: “We turned the situation around in a good first half, but Valencia closed ranks and it was difficult to find spaces.“It is a very equal league, we have to look to ourselves and try to win three points again.”Barcelona will have a chance to reclaim top spot in La Liga, after the international break, by hosting new leaders Sevilla at the Camp Nou on October 20.last_img read more

Simeone insists end of MessiRonaldo fuel good for La Liga

first_imgAtletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone insists the end of the longtime tussle between two of football’s greatest superstars is a good thing for the Spanish league.The Argentine gaffer believes LaLiga has become a more interesting and competitive league now the emphasis has shifted from Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo’s battle for silverware.Los Colcheneros squandered a glorious chance to temporarily go top on Saturday as Filipe Luis’ second-half header was cancelled out by Mario Gaspar’s deflected strike in a 1-1 draw at lowly Villarreal.“LaLiga is fantastic at the moment,” the Rojiblancos boss told a news conference, according to FourFourTwo.FC Barcelona, Valencia CFMatch Preview: Barcelona vs Valencia Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Is derby time in La Liga, as Barcelona welcomes Valencia to the Camp Nou Stadium tonight at 21:00 (CET).“It’s chaotic, all the teams are competing and fighting for points. It’s much more competitive than when Ronaldo and Messi defined the championship.”“We are only thinking about ourselves. Today was a tough, intense game against a strong rival. We tried to play hard in the first half to counter [Villarreal’s] need for the win.”“In the second half, we understood that we could try to be more offensive in order to exploit the spaces they left.”“We scored a goal and then they equalised. In the end they could have scored the second and so could have we with Lemar’s chance.”last_img read more