Ben Arfa is currently with the French squad at Euro 2016, after an impressive season in Ligue 1 with Nice. He will sign a three-year deal at the Parc des Princes, where he will be coached by Unai Emery. CEST Emery is also chasing a former player of his at Sevilla, midfielder Grzegorz Krychowiak, who is also still involved at the European Championships, with Poland. 29/06/2016 The French forward, Hatem Ben Arfa, will opt to join PSG in the coming hours according to ‘L’Equipe’, despite the interest from other clubs, including Sevilla, for the 29-year-old. Upd. at 21:51 PSG are making a big push this summer to achieve their dream of Champions League success, and the addition of Ben Arfa is a further step towards that aim. Sport EN
By JARROD POTTER THIS is the time. The Youth Girls already gave us a small taste of the finals atmosphere…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
Jadon Sancho revealed it was special to play alongside “role model” Raheem Sterling after shining on his first competitive England start.The pair’s paths crossed at Manchester City, where Sancho emerged as a promising youngster before opting for a move to the Bundesliga with Borussia Dortmund.He has flourished this season and now appears to be a permanent fixture in Gareth Southgate’s England squad.The 18-year-old laid on the first of Sterling’s three goals in an impressive 5-0 thrashing of the Czech Republic as the Three Lions began their Euro 2020 qualification campaign in style.Sancho, who celebrates his birthday on Monday when England face Montenegro in Podgorica, was delighted to earn a start at Wembley and even more pleased to share the pitch with someone he sees as an inspiration.“He is a great player, as you can see on and off the pitch,” Sancho told beIN Sports when asked about Sterling.“He is a humble guy and I am just so delighted I am sharing the pitch with him and obviously I look up to him as a role model and especially starting with him was a great feeling.“It was a great match for us, a great start obviously with a 5-0 win at home and it is a special feeling, especially getting my first competitive start for England in front of my family and I’m sure they will be proud of me.”Sancho could have capped the night with a goal of his own, but fluffed his lines when picked out by Harry Kane, who had earlier put England two goals ahead with a first-half penalty won by Sterling.He revealed what Sterling said to him as they left the pitch following the comfortable win and how he and fellow 18-year-old Callum Hudson-Odoi have been made to feel welcome in the squad.“He just asked how did I miss that chance at the end!” Sancho said of his post-match chat with Sterling.“It was unfortunate. It is very competitive. We have to take every game at 100 per cent. We did that and now we are going to take that to Montenegro and hopefully get the three points there.He added: “When I am in training the boys just make me feel comfortable.”“Obviously with me and Callum being the two young boys in the camp, the other boys have comforted us and made us feel welcome and that has really helped us feel confident and keep playing well.”
Japan’s Joshiro Maruyama (L in white) fights in the semi-final against Japan’s Hifumi Abe in the men’s under 66kg category during the 2019 Judo World Championships at the Nippon Budokan, a venue for the upcoming Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, in Tokyo on August 26, 2019. (Photo by CHARLY TRIBALLEAU / AFP)Host Japan snatched double gold at the world judo championships Monday as Joshiro Maruyama and Uta Abe powered to victory to fire a warning ahead of next year’s Tokyo Olympics.After failing to win a title on day one at the weekend, normal service was quickly resumed for the Japanese at the capital’s iconic Budokan martial arts venue.ADVERTISEMENT A question mark remains over how Japan’s judoka will cope with the suffocating pressure of competing at home but many of those fears were dispelled by the swagger shown by Abe and Maruyama.Maruyama, who had broken the pain barrier to beat Hifumi Abe in a barnstorming semi-final, dished out a beating to Kim in a gold medal match played out against the backdrop of a simmering diplomatic row between Japan and South Korea. Rag dollAfter an ill-tempered final, the 26-year-old delivered the coup de grace by tossing his Korean opponent over his shoulder like a rag doll to complete an emotional ippon victory that sparked raucous cheers from a packed home crowd.“It’s been a difficult road to come this far,” said a tearful Maruyama after bagging his first world title.ADVERTISEMENT Priyanka Chopra Jonas joining Amazon’s spy series ‘Citadel’ View comments ‘Homeland’ star Patinkin lauds intelligence community MOST READ LATEST STORIES Fiba World Cup: Gilas Pilipinas focusing on Italy game Robredo hits Mocha over false post: Why let gov’t pay a fake news purveyor? Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “I’ve struggled more than most fighters, so this is a big win for me. But the goal is to win gold at the Tokyo Olympics so I’ve got to pick myself up and go again.”Hifumi Abe looked inconsolable after losing a battle of attrition against Maruyama as he was left staring up at the rafters with a black eye and choking back tears.A bronze-medal win over Italy’s Manuel Lombardo did little to soften the blow for Abe, who had been tipped for gold again this week.Uta Abe looked glum watching her brother’s semi-final defeat but took her annoyance out on the hapless Kuziutina, who strutted into the arena jutting out her jaw in a show of defiance only to be dumped on her back within half a minute.Abe, who crushed Kosovo’s 2016 Rio Olympic champion Majlinda Kelmendi in the semi-finals, won by ippon — judo’s equivalent of a knockout — and was immediately mobbed by autograph-hunters before she even had time to celebrate.“To win the title in Tokyo is awesome,” said the 19-year-old crowd favorite.“Beating Kelmendi gave me a lot of confidence and the home support really provided a lift.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparc Dutch YouTube star Nikkie de Jager says she is transgender BREAKING: DOJ indicts ex-PNP chief Albayalde for graft Taal Volcano’s quakes, cracks send more people fleeing Read Next Mandatory evacuation enforced in Lemery 3 young volunteers die in car crash after giving aid to Taal evacuees World number two Maruyama produced a shock win over countryman and defending champion Hifumi Abe in the men’s 66-kilogram division before battering South Korea’s Kim Lim-hwan in a politically charged final.While Abe was denied a hat-trick of world titles, his younger sister Uta — the poster girl of Japanese judo — retained her crown in the women’s 52-kilo class by dispatching Russian Natalia Kuziutina in just 28 seconds.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSAllen Durham chews out Meralco: Everybody played like sh*tSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsJapan dominated the 2018 world championships in Baku, capturing eight of the 15 gold medals available, and will be chasing a similar haul at the 2020 Olympics on home soil.They came into the competition having won a total of 354 world championship medals, 153 of them gold — more than double the tally of their nearest rivals France.
Dez Wells, who will be San Miguel’s import in the PBA Governors’ Cup, led the Beermen with 29 points, eight rebounds, four assists, and five steals while Romeo had 17 points, seven rebounds, and two steals.Chris Ross and Christian Standhardinger added 11 points apiece while Lester Prosper added 10 points and 15 boards.Pierre Jackson led the Aviators with 18 points and nine rebounds.ADVERTISEMENT Bloodied but unbowed, Tyson Fury ‘ready for war’ against Deontay Wilder Robredo to visit Batangas families displaced by Taal erruption View comments Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Teen dead, another hurt in vehicular collision in Santiago City LATEST STORIES Heart Evangelista, Kim Chiu, more celebs appeal for animal rescue after Taal eruption ‘People evacuated on their own’ LOOK: Taal Volcano island 2 days after eruption LOOK: Kryz Uy, Slater Young expecting first son Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles03:22SEA Games 2019: Charly Suarez stops Burmese foe, advances to boxing semi01:04Daybreak as smoke, ash billows from Taal volcano01:05Poor visibility, nakaapekto sa maraming lugar sa Batangas03:028,000 pulis sa Region 4-A, tuloy ang trabaho03:57Phivolcs, nahihirapan sa komunikasyon sa Taal01:04Sold-out: Stores run out of face masks after Taal spews ash01:45Iran police shoot at those protesting plane shootdown The Beermen, who played without June Mar Fajardo, Alex Cabagnot, and Marcio Lassiter, took a 1-0 record in Group B and will need to beat Ryukyu Thursday to cement their spot in the semifinals of the invitational tournament.Leading the whole game, San Miguel’s only hiccup was when the Aviators cut the deficit to one, 62-61, early in the fourth quarter after a 21-12 run from the Chinese club capped off by Zifeng Rong’s three-pointer.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSAndray Blatche has high praise for teammate Kai SottoSPORTSBig differenceSPORTSAlmazan status stays uncertain ahead of Game 4But San Miguel retaliated with a 14-4 run punctuated by a three pointer from Terrence Romeo to push the lead back to a commanding 80-67 lead with 4:23 left in the game.“At the start we’re really worried because this is our first time in the tournament but it’s nice here because we won our first game and I’m very excited for the rest of the tournament,” said San Miguel head coach Leo Austria. MACAU—San Miguel, despite missing three of its starters, hammered down CBA’s Shenzhen, 90-76, in the group stages of the East Asia Super League: The Terrific 12 Tuesday at Tap Seac Sports Pavilion here.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Taal Volcano’s lava fountain weakens, but Phivolcs says it’s not sign of slowing down Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. No need to wear face masks in Metro Manila, says scientist
Dear Editor,It is with great dismay that I observed the presence of no less than six Ministers of Guyana’s Government in attendance as ‘observers’ during proceedings at the Caribbean Court of Justice.None of these Ministers is directly involved in any of the cases being heard.Christopher Ram has already raised a valid question of taxpayers funding this cheerleading exercise.What concerns me most is the early corruption of two new Members of Parliament (MP) and Ministers, namely, Ministers Tabitha Sarabo-Halley (Public Service) and Hemraj Rajkumar (Business).These two Ministers have only been appointed two weeks ago, it is not unreasonable for the taxpaying citizens to expect service given the hefty remuneration and benefits packages that accompany the job. However, the two Ministers find themselves in the viewing gallery of the CCJ and not performing the functions of their offices.Instead of immediate focus on the job, these two Ministers have been handed titles and asked to perform political acts instead of honest labour to deliver service to the people of Guyana.Editor, this pattern of corruption where political favours are asked of appointees and agencies is very much a feature of the Granger Administration with attending consequences. Familiarity breeds contempt. It has in the Special Organised Crime Unit (SOCU), where the use of the agency for political witch hunting led to employees becoming corrupt by the thought of favours owed for partisan actions taken. It does not take much extrapolation to reach the conclusion that two new Ministers now feel special consideration is now owed for overt support given in person at the Caribbean Court of Justice.The irony of being asked to perform a political act does them great harm and that point is sadly lost on them or perhaps refusal was not an option.Regards,Roodi Balgobin
“It was not something that was contemplated,” Lalas said of making a coaching change, but then immediately added it was certainly possible. “Given the results and where we were in the standings, we felt it would be an appropriate time to give permission (for Yallop to talk to the Earthquakes).” It’s a disingenuous claim. Even if Yallop had continued next season, as he said he would as late as a week ago – while Lalas remained ominously silent – he would have been on a short leash. Given the choice between a three-year contact in San Jose and uncertainty with the Galaxy, it’s not hard to see why Yallop jumped ship. He would not have forgotten that then-coach Sigi Schmid was put on notice in 2003 when the Galaxy barely scraped into the playoffs after starting the season with eight straight road games while the team awaited the completion of Home Depot Center. Schmid was out the following August after a seven-game winless stretch, even though the Galaxy were first in MLS at the time. Lalas dropped a broad hint Monday he won’t give Schmid or any other MLS retread a call. “There is certainly an interest in a high-profile, for lack of a better word, a sexy type of candidate,” Lalas said. “We’re looking to bring in someone who can do something different at the Galaxy. “The criteria is not that you have to be an international coach or you have to be a domestic coach, you have to be a good coach. We are going to use this as an opportunity to once again push the envelope and do something that has not been seen in MLS.” Translation: the Galaxy will go after a big-name foreign coach, despite their almost collective unfamiliarity with such arcane American sports edicts as the salary cap or draft. You can forget Orange County resident Jurgen Klinsmann or former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, though. Both would demand complete control of on-field affairs and neither would tolerate the propensity for Galaxy suits to have their say. Think Manchester United assistant Carlos Queiroz, who briefly coached in New York and may be tired of waiting for Alex Ferguson to retire. Or former Real Madrid Coach Fabio Capello, a title winner with every team he has ever coached who has been linked with MLS before. A fall-back candidate could be abrasive former Red Bull coach Bruce Arena, but only if the Galaxy run out of overseas options. There’s not much time, though; the real expansion draft is just weeks away. firstname.lastname@example.orgWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The MLS expansion draft began early when Coach Frank Yallop left the Galaxy to rejoin the new edition of the San Jose Earthquakes that begins play next season. The Galaxy received a third-round draft pick as compensation, a negligible price for a two-time MLS Cup-winning coach that’s indicative of how much the club wanted to get rid of him. Yallop’s flight is an apt culmination to the most turbulent and eventful year in team history. What began so promisingly with the signing of David Beckham ended with the club’s front office in free-fall, bereft of any shred of credibility with fans or media. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre The suits’ meddling on the playing side in a desperate attempt to salvage a season sabotaged by corporate greed undermined Yallop’s authority and autonomy. And the hiring of Paul Bravo as director of soccer in late August added another management layer designed to distance General Manager Alexi Lalas from the catastrophic season. From the Galaxy’s perspective, Yallop’s move resolved a delicate public relations dilemma. A man of candor and integrity, Yallop remained a popular figure with the media and many fans. So now Lalas can claim, as he did Monday, that the team did not make Yallop a scapegoat because he left of his own volition.
Patrik Schick [right] in action for Fiorentina Chelsea target Patrik Schick is not for sale, according to Sampdoria president Massimo Ferrero.The Blues have been linked with a move for the 21-year-old, who has bagged eight goals in 24 Serie A outings so far this term.Inter Milan are also very keen on launching a bid for the Czech striker, who only arrived at the club from Sparta Prague in the summer.His initial contract at Sampdoria contains a minimum fee release clause set at a relatively modest £21.5m, which would not be too much of a problem for either interested party.However, Ferrero seems quite relaxed about the situation.When asked about Schick’s situation, the Sampdoria president told Premier Sport: “He is not for sale.“The 25 million euro release clause? I am pretty sure that this statement is strong enough: ‘not for sale’.” 1
1 Kylian Mbappe Real Madrid have reached an agreement for the world record breaking transfer of Monaco sensation Kylian Mbappe, according to reports from Marca.The Madrid-based newspaper, well known for its excellent contacts within the Bernabeu, reports that the deal is worth €180million euros (£160m), broken into a fixed payment of €160m, with a further €20m to be paid upon the completion of performance targets. Monaco chiefs previously demanded €190m but have been bartered down by their counterparts in Madrid following a meeting last week.If completed, the transfer fee will almost double the previous world record fee – the £89mi paid for Paul Pogba by Manchester United last year. Mbappe will sign for six years and earn a net figure of €7m a year.Marca claims, “the intention of all parties is that Mbappe is incorporated into the white ranks in the next few days,” and it is reported that the teenage forward wants to move to the Spanish capital immediately. However, Madrid are also prepared to consider a second option: that Mbappe stays one more year on loan at Monaco. This possibility appeals to the Monaco owners, Dimitri Rybolovlev and vice-president Vadim Vasiliyev.Arsenal, LIverpool and Manchester City had also been linked with Mbappe this summer.